Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:09:14 -0800
From:         Zoltan Kuthy <zol@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon in South Africa
Comments: To: Jimmy Sanby <SanbyJ@TELKOM.CO.ZA>

I was in South Africa last year and drove one of these and looked at the engine a little. Yes the engine is bigger. But they have about four or five different sizes. From 2.0 up to 3.0 liter. Like 2.1, 2.3, 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0. You can see them all over and they are very popular. Also very common to see them with large crash bars in front, some made of stainless steel. Talking about s.s., many cars are fitted with s.s. exhausts there. And not only the muffler. All the way. Very common there. Yet the humidity inland varies between 45 and 85 %. High altitude, 20% less oxygen, dry, cold, treeless, not enough rivers, lot of snakes. But wonderful people, not counting the ones that you can bump into any minute to rob you or kill you for your car. I just wanted to say that although it is right hand drive (RHD) there, also the arrangement inside is right hand side. Like the sliding door is on your left. The kitchen is on your right in the Westfalia, I presume. (Mr. Livingstone) The consumption has to be very good because I remember running out of gas while we traveled up from the coast to Johannesburg which is at 6000 feet (six thousand) and by that time we have done almost 400 miles on that full tank. Which was enough to go down to the coast which is like paradise there. And there is no crime at the coast as much as up in the big towns where the unemployment is about 300%. Or close to that. The properties value is about 10% of the Americans. At the coast is great. The golf green fees are $5-$15, caddies same. Every single day is paradise. The food is for nothing and you better have a made and a gardener at your house. Just reminiscing... Anyway, these vehicles are very popular besides they all drive Mercedes and BMW there. They like to go out fishing, boating, pick nick, camping and this is a preferred travel for that. They like it for the same reasons as we do. Low maintenance, cheap, practical and takes a lot of beating. But you should see the Toyota vans there... That is something. The blacks use them for taxis and they fit in up to twenty guys sometime. They are twelve seaters, little extra long, and pretty fast. They often have territorial wars between each other and with machine guns they kill all the passengers. But that is the real transport for them only between the work and the township where they stay. The blacks really have it hard since the politics changed. Not to mention the whites. With job advertising:"Whites need not apply" you can imagine how many is out of work and begging. Like the old times here for the blacks. Apropos. I nearly forgot to mention, the transmission is five speed or automatic. There is a beefed up version with the name "Oettinger" too. Looks the same, usually 3.0 liter. And may be a few extra gadgets in it. It is funny to sit in the passenger seat driving and changing gears with your left hand, on the left side of the road and make a near accident every time you turn out of a gas station where they jump around your car as a good service should do. So old ladies or young ones or neatly dressed gentleman do not have to fiddle with all those different liquids under the hood or clean the windows around or figure out what to pull or push or switch and activate when you fill in gas. Petrol. And gearbox. And bonnet or boot. Yes, the girls are feminine and beautiful and smiling. Did not see one fat one. The speed limit is 80 Mph. Which means that if you want to go to Cape Town from Johannesburg You might find yourself driving 130 Mph for five hours or six on a near empty freeway that you can see for twenty miles ahead. Six month no rain, the other six month rains for one hour from four till five in the afternoon. I wander if getting parts are cheaper from South Africa. The US is the most expensive place for most things. One has to make an investigation. I do know someone who is a service manager at a Volkwagen dealership. Probably I should ask him a part list of the Vanagon perishables. What do you guys think? Zoltan 3x82 Westy