Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:04:23 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Mercedes wheels
Comments: To: jander14@wvu.edu

In a message dated 3/6/00 12:31:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, jander14@WVU.EDU writes:

<< 1.) has machined centers out of cast aluminum wheels > (cast aluminum is very fragile) > 2.) suspension modified by cutting notches to allow the wheel to fit > (who knows what this will do over the life of the vehicle) > 3.) significantly less track than even the stock wheels > (making for worse handling)

Oh this is ludicrous already, although I questioned the Audi wheel fitment early on, some REAL world points.

Machining a little aluminum from the center of an Audi or Mercedes wheel will do nothing to the strength, I'm a mechanical engineer, take my word on it, I'd stake my life (personally) on it. Either are big tough wheels, the Mercedes as mentioned is forged even, but even the early Audi Turbo wheels are meant to carry a big hefty car around. >>

yes, unfortuately not all listmembers can afford to spend over $600+? on some nasty chromed steel jeep-lookin wagon wheels from some high priced (and low quality) german aftermarket company because they are "officially rated by the TUV"

i have run the audi 15" alloys with no problem. same w/ the 14" MB alloys (which dont have to be machined) never had a problem with either. oh..and NO i dont have any for sale.. for those anal listmemers, you can go out and spend all the $$ you want for the "officialness" , but it would be just for piece of mind. that's it.. we've been thru this all a year or so ago.. DONT KNOCK IT TILL YOU'VE TRIED IT.

chris