Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:42:02 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: baja gas, octane, and timing
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

The fears about gas quality in Baja are now mostly outdated. The gas is very good and only unleaded is available. The old low octane leaded NOVA is gone. There are 2 grades of unleaded but the premium stuff is available mostly near the border and in populated areas. I have been using Baja gas for years and 10's of thousands of miles in various Vanagons and Syncros without incident. The older Pemex stations with rusting tanks and contamination problems have largely been replaced. The main concern is to not run out and then have to buy from the black market sellers. Carry 5 gals and keep the tank at least half full. P-mail me if you want more, there are several ways that some stations WILL cheat you. Always get out of your car and stand right at the pump, watching carefully. This is a real problem.

I just returned from a 5000 mile trip to Southern Mexico and the fuel supply was always good. I drove my 82 1.9TD Westy and had no problems finding diesel. Almost every station outside of the center of the cities has diesel. I averaged 24.2 mpg even using the suspect readings from the pumps.

Mark

Davidson wrote: > > John, > Your post: "...Please note that NOT ALL STATIONS have the unleaded. The > bigger stations in the cities usually do. NEVER pass up an unleaded pump if > you are driving long distance. I would also bring extra fuel filters." > > I have read from a recent source that all stations along the main highways > (not just the cities) 'carry' unleaded. This is due to the vast number go > gringos who travel the main roads. However, whether they are sold out of > unleaded or not is another thing... like you say, best to fill up at every > opportunity. > > Also, I plan to head off the main roads. I have read that *sometimes* small > remote villages sell Magna Sin (unleaded) out of drums. I have also heard > that it is in these situations that a funnel/filter is a good idea.... ANY > ONE KNOW WHERE YOU CAN BUY A FUNNEL/FILTER? ... that would work for > filtering hand pumped fuel from a barrel BEFORE it enters the gas tank? > > Thanks, > Bill > > -----Original Message----- > From: John Wessels <EUROMOG@AOL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Date: Saturday, March 04, 2000 11:48 AM > Subject: Re: baja gas, octane, and timing > > >In a message dated 3/4/00 1:01:57 PM EST, kurt.krusinski@ATTWS.COM writes: > > > ><< > > > > I'm bring my syncro to Baja for the month of April and have heard that the > > only unleaded gas available is 91 octane. If this is really the only > octane > > available, it seems like I should tank up on 91 in the states and get the > > timing & tune redone (I use 87/89 now). Am I correct? It seems like I > > would need to adjust the detonation for the van to run smoothly on 91. > > > > Thanks much. > > > > Kurt Krusinski >> > > > >There is no need to adjust your timing if you going to use a higher octane > >fuel. The Digiphant system needs to be set to spec for proper running. The > >biggest thing you need to worry is to use unleaded gas if your van still > has > >the cat converter. I would top off in the states as you mentioned. Please > >note that NOT ALL STATIONS have the unleaded. The bigger stations in the > >cities usually do. NEVER pass up an unleaded pump if you are driving long > >distance. I would also bring extra fuel filters. > > > >I don't know about the current pricing but a few years ago the Pemex gas > was > >higher priced than the CA gas. One benefit that you will see is more power > >and better fuel mileage than CA gas. In Mexico you get 100% gas whereas > here > >you get 90% gas and 10% oxygen. My '55 Unimog had low compression (7:1) and > >absolutely LOVED Pemex gas in the mid grade leaded. > > > >Be careful paying at the pump with US dollars. The attendants sometimes > will > >"tip" themselves a little extra by miscalculating the exchange rate. Pay in > >Peso's whenever possible. That way you know for sure you are paying what is > >says on the pump. > > > >If you want to read about my trip with some Unimog buddies down to Baja a > few > >years ago go to http://www.unimogwherehaus.com and check out trip reports. > Be > >careful the Unimogs are very addicting. > > > >John Wessels-'87Syncro > >European Motorsport > >Livermore, CA > >http://www.euromog.com > >