Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:04:40 -0400
From:         "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes wheels
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>

Per, I'm glad you mentioned spacers as many people have said that spacers cause premature bearing failure. You are right when you say that it is a combination of offset and spacer which should be maintained to keep the center of the wheel in the design plane of the bearing. This would keep the bearing loads the same as the original design. What I am not sure about is the effect of wider wheels though, I think the wider wheel may need less offset in order to keep the tire away from the suspension which means the inside of the tire is in the same location but the outside of the tire moves further out. The overall loading on the bearing would increase marginally. Its interesting to note that the steel and alloy Vanagon wheels have different offsets which means that the alloy stock wheel is applying more load to the bearings than the stock steel wheel. I expect that there is a reasonable design tolerance in the bearing to allow this. What is the width of the Audi wheel? If it clears the suspension with a 40mm offset you would be right on the design point with a 2mm spacer. I'm not certain that 2mm one way or the other will make much difference to the handling but there must be a whole pile of these installed. I'd like to do it too as soon as I find some decent wheels. Tony