Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:11:42 -0500
From:         wb6otg <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>
Subject:      Re: baja gas, octane, and timing

This sounds like confusion over the many ways of rating octane. In the old days, there were two ways of rating octane, research octane and motor octane. Most car companies (VW included) specified octane by the research method. When the US government decided to require labeling of octane number on the pumps, they couldn't decide which method to use, so they created another one! (its actually the average of the two traditional methods)

So, the Pemex gas is probably supposed to be 91 research octane = 87 US government octane.

As a side note, the sticker on the Vanagon that says to use 91 octane (RON) fuel, really means to use US 87 octane regular gas.

Bill