Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:45:31 -500
From:         Ezra Hall <ehall@TOGETHER.NET>
Subject:      North Conway NH, Cup holders, Interior lights, ramblings

I recently installed two cup holders in our Westy. I purchased them from the Brookstone outlet in North Conway, NH. They are made in Germany, and come with a bracket and clips to attach to heater vents. They hold your cup with adjustable foam padded jaws, they appear to be high quality units and have worked well, ~$8 each. Originally, I used the bracket and two screws to attach to either side of the Automatic shift lever, but that proved to be a poor location (feet, dog, etc..). Currently, I have them mounted on the dash to either side of the ash tray. I cut ~16deg wedges of wood, and used double sticky tape to mount. I still need to paint the wood black. They worked flawlessly all weekend, and since I cleaned the dash well before attachment (wax remover, then quick application of acetone), they are held in place well by the double sticky tape (3M). I even jammed a 1quart Nalgene bottle into one for a while. I am not sure if Brookstone still sells these units retail, but there was a pile of them at the North Conway outlet this weekend (yes we went camping, only down to the ~30's at night with plenty of blankets and the dog to keep us warm).

If you are in that area, also stop by the Black and Decker outlet. They had fluorescent snake lights for sale, $5 each! I bought 3. Obviously a flawed design as the flexible "snake" portion is not strong enough to hold the fluorescent light head well, but I am sculling two of the fluorescent u-tube lamps and single transistor self oscillating power supply modules to replace the incendescent lights in the cabin light (3 x 0.7A = 2.1A). Although they are designed to run on 3-D cell batteries (4.5V at 0.9A). At 6volts they only draw 1 amp, so I will wire 2 in series. If they aren't balanced well enough for series operation or can't handle 7V while the alternator is runnin, I will regulate with a small switching regulator. They put out more light than the incandescent lights, and will draw half the current. The "snake" portion is ~12-14" long, and would work well for a smaller light head. I will post pictures and details if there is interest and I actually get to this.

We achieved ~18mpg on a 180mi leg of the trip including the Kancamagus portion, so the 14mpg fuel economy I observe around town must be an artifact of stop and go driving. Previous long trips had resulted in poor fuel economy (~14-15mpg), but that was before I worked on ignition problems and built an improved digitool. It would be nice if there was a locking torque convertor that could be adapted without too much trouble to further increase fuel economy, but for now 18 is better than 14mpg!

Thanks, Ezra Hall www.together.net/~ehall (need to add some westy pictures!) '88 Westy, Automatic