Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:05:53 -0800
From:         "Charles \"Luke\" Lukey" <luke@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas heater fix (long)
Comments: To: Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>

Now HERE is some helpful information - thanks Chris!

Charles "Luke" Lukey Seattle, WA

There have been many posts dealing with various fixes for the Gas heater, but I thought that my weekend might help someone else working on their heater.

The Problem: Last week the heater quit about 1/2 way to work one morning. This may not sound bad, but it was 45minutes without heat in 30deg temps. The fan would still run, and I could hear the ticking of the fuel pump, but the "jet engine" sound of the heater was missing, as well as the heat.

The Solution:

Day 1: Pulled the pan to check for fuel output. The fuel filter we installed last summer when the engine was replaced looked nice and clean.. so much for the easy fix.. while the van was inside we tried to start it. Raw fuel smell filled the shop and drove us outside for a while to let the shop air-out. Next we pulled the spark plug wire from the spark/glow plug and checked for spark by starting the heater. No spark! Testing the coil power + terminal showed 12v, and there was intermittent continuity between ground and the terminal 1 (-) wire going from the coil to the fan motor. Seems that it's the coil. Since it was getting late we called it a night and tried to find the part.

Day 2: Called 3 more places, sent multiple emails, gave up and started searching archives. Luckily I found an article about using a stock coil for the heater, and started plans for working on the heater all day Saturday.

Day 3: got up early, took kids to grandmas house for their overnighter, froze in van, got ready for battle. Pulled the pan again, and started mounting the new coil. about 1 hour later had the new coil in and gave it a try. No Heat.. hmm... now what.. Pulled the coil since I must have screwed something up and redid all the tests. Power, continuity, and this time spark.. so why wasn't it lighting?..

At this point it was time for lunch and another look at the Bentley manual.

Finished lunch and went back under the van. Now it was time to pull the spark/glow plug and see what was up. Here came the fun part. The plug takes a standard 21mm spark plug socket to remove. I bent the heater element tabs up to slip the socket over the plug, got he socket on, but then found that wrench handle wouldn't fit. Plus my large wrenches were out on loan. In desperation I tried the trusty vice-grips. ( I really didn't want to have to buy one wrench from sears and drop over $10 for a spare tool) I was able to get them on the base of the plug and give it about 10 degrees of movement...

Joy of Joys.. I worked! the plug was able to be unscrewed just by fingertips. Once the plug was out, I saw that is was horribly fouled. Not one hole was open and there was no sign that there was a coil wrapped around the insulator. I tried calling the local VW parts guru, be he has no source, the flaps try to sell me W8AC (not even type 4 plugs...ugg) and the dealer has no idea what I'm talking about since they have just switched over to a computerized parts system and are not willing to dig out the fiche nor have they been able to look-up parts that they haven't been trained for. From this I learned 2 things. One, I'm going to have to find a way to clean this plug, and two, I'm not buying my next VW from the local dealer, nor get it serviced there.

I was stumped as to how I was going to clean the baked-on carbon, so I went to the FLAPS to see what they had. I found some Gumout Combustion Chamber Cleaner, and gave it a try. I poured the bottle into a clean coffee can, dropped the plug into the solution and gave it an hour to soak. Then I went back and went after the carbon with a nylon detail brush and some brake cleaner. The plug came so clean it almost looked brand new. When it was reinstalled the heater fired up after 10 seconds and spit-out a ton of black smoke. The smoke cleared after a minute, and since then has been starting either immediately when warm, or within a few seconds when cold.

I hope this can help someone trying to get a heater working. I found the Bentley manual indispensable for research, photos and wiring diagrams. Also the archives were great showing a regular coil could be used in place of the original coil. Total cost for repairs was 1 spare parts coil, $4 for cleaner, $2 for brake cleaner spray, and $3 for new pan hardware.

Chris Smith Director of Smoke and Mirrors Der Busbesitzer Gruppe