Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:30:44 -0000
From:         Phil Marston <pmarston@INSTECH.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Fuel leaks/smell
Comments: To: ehall@TOGETHER.NET

Had exactly the same problem with my fuel tank. Fuel would gush out if I filled it more than 1/2 full. Decided to drop the tank to have a look. The previous owner had fibreglassed (badly) over the huge rust holes in the top of the tank and neglected to replace the vent pipes, the fuel could slosh out the holes when it wanted. The main filler pipe had completely rusted through and had been 'repaired' with a roll of rubber sheet and a couple of jubilee clips to bandage over the hole. It was like sitting on a potential fire-bomb. Decided to replace the entire tank with a new one & replace / re-plumb all the breather pipes. The new filler pipe is made from plastic so it won't rust. Probably cost about 200 UK pounds in all and only took a couple of hours. At least I know now that it is safe & my expensive fuel is not evapourating out.

Suggest you have a look sooner rather than later. Its not a difficult job and only needs a few simple tools.

Phil, T25.

----- Original Message ----- From: Ezra Hall <ehall@TOGETHER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 9:59 PM Subject: Fuel leaks/smell