Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:48:03 -0700
From:         Keith Adams <keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radio Code

From my experience with several VW goofy radios...

In my 98 Golf, I goobered the code, and I had to leave the radio and key on for an hour, then it left the SAFE mode and let me re-try.

In my buddies Jetta (88ish??) he goobered the code, and did the same trick - left it on for an hour, and it still didn't work. The radio is totally dead, and no one was ever able to tell me how to unstick it (even other VW resources). His wife even took it to a dealer and played the innocent routine and they couldn't fix it. It has to be taken out and sent away.

Moral of the story - older radios that are likely to be in Vanagons (I have a Blaupunkt in mine and can't say) are likely to be the second variety. VW did realize this is ridiculous and changed it, but probably not til 92 or 93 (wild guess). Consider it a good excuse to upgrade to something else *smirk* Be careful when entering the code. If you've lost the instruction manual, there is at least one good place on the net that lists the instructions (but it has left my head momentarily).

Keith Adams Calgary, Alberta, Canada 1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia, 1998 Golf Wolfsburg Edition