Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:43:13 -0800
From:         Steve Sullivan <Steve@NORTHWESTWATCH.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Alaska Package (F)
Comments: To: Kevin Turinsky <KTurinsky@MCKINLEYCAPITAL.COM>

After spending eight summers in Alaska driving both the "super-size" version of the Vanagon (Gray Line bus) and the "mega-size" version (Gray Line articulated 60' bus complete with microwave, coffee pots, lounge, and video system) on nearly every paved and unpaved road (plus a few ditches we won't talk about), I have to say that your description of the Alaska Package (never to be confused with Ford's "Eddie Bauer Edition" Explorer) is entirely accurate.

During my time up North I noticed that the Alaska Package was evidently factory-installed on all makes and models of vehicles sold in Alaska. Of course, there are numerous variations of the Package depending on who installed it on each individual vehicle.

Note that the same package is widely installed on all vehicles sold or imported to the Yukon as well, though it has no formal name other than "the rig." (As in, "Marv, jump in the rig and get us some more beer.") This package differes only in detail, including factory-supplied Tim Horton's donut boxes strewn around the floor and mandatory "Unless you're the lead dog the view never changes" bumper sticker.

Having spent some time in Anchorage I noticed that a lot of Anchorites must import their vehicles from Outside, as many vehicles driving around Anchorage apparently do not have the Alaska Package installed. Of course, this makes sense when you consider what those of us who lived in Fairbanks (where all vehicles must have the full Alaska Package installed) would say that the nice thing about Anchorage is that it's so close to Alaska . . .

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week: I needed it!

Steve Sullivan, Motorcoach Commander, Ret. 84 Westy "Calvin" (Soon to have full Alaska Package installed)

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin Turinsky [mailto:KTurinsky@MCKINLEYCAPITAL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 10:02 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Alaska Package (F)

The Alaska package was an official factory accessory package created to meet the specific needs that VW drivers at extreme latitudes (attitudes) require. It came standard on all VW's delivered in Alaska.

The following is a partial list of what the package included:

Factory, pre-cracked windshield Factory installed dog fur, covering all interior surfaces Factory installed dog nose smudges on all interior glass surfaces Factory, pre-cracked headlight (generally one, often two) 1 roll of duct tape Factory installed "We Don't Give A Damn How They Do It Outside" bumper sticker Factory installed gun rack 1/8" factory "dirt" colored exterior vehicle finish 1/16" factory realistic "grime" texture interior dash and upholstery finish Factory issued, driver specific Carhartt overalls Factory issued Coleman white gas, camp stove/motor preheater. Factory preconditioned salmon/rainbow trout scented upholstery Factory installed "used-motor-oil" stained carpeting Factory installed wire coat hanger radio antennae Factory installed power cord hanging out of back end of vehicle Factory installed "My Mom's on the 86 list at 'Coots" bumper sticker Factory pre-removed interior rear view mirror (to save weight) Factory installed various exterior texture-izations and paint treatment

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. If anyone would like to see the complete list...

Kevin '89 Syncro Westie Anchored, down in Anchorage -- Alaska