Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:50:57 -0500
From:         Eric Zeno <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket again...
Comments: To: rbias@HOTMAIL.COM
Comments: cc: rbias@HOTMAIL.COM

HI rich, I can't stand doing a job like this twice, so I feel bad for you. As for a compression leak: there is only two reason for this. One is a crack in the head. Make sure the machine shop is using the special chemicals required to find cracks in AL heads. I honestly don't think this is the problem as, somewhere I had seen that small cracks are exceptable for rebuilds.....go figure??? The second reason compression leaks, is the surface at the top of the cylinder is not true to the head. Heads can warped because of excess heat, machined uneven, there could be a sealing ring from the previous rebuild left in there....BTW do you replace these compression sealing ring? Also the two cylinder side by side must be completely true to each other. IF you pulled them from the block, at all, I would put a square across the top of them to check there flatness. The machine shop should have check the head to ensure the sealing surface in each cylinder is flat to the other. Don't assume this. Use new sealing rings. I would not reassemble until you find the cause for this. When you do, torque to specs., and then add a 1/4 turn to the wrench. You will not have any more compression leaks. Eric