Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:08:13 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: List sticker lobbying, my .02
Comments: To: Ray Nemo <Volksiebus@NETSCAPE.NET>

OK, I'm sure that I'm opening a major can of worms here. Trust me that this is not an effort to offend anyone (though it probably will).

Although I support a political party, my van doesn't wear a bumper sticker advertising it. I like the Dead, but would not want to have dancing bears on the back of my van. My understanding, and the understanding of others I deal with regularly, is that the spectrum style bumper and window stickers have been adopted by the gay community.

At the risk of sounding politically correct, I would like to suggest that we be a bit cautious in selecting this sticker. I don't want to advertise this group or myself as being aligned with anything but our vans. Vanagons are not male, female, gay, or even musically inclined. They are inanimate, wonderfully (for the most part) designed, vans.

I know which stickers I like personally, but also know which I'd want (and not want) on the back of my van advertising my affiliation with this group (an affiliation of which I'm proud of, by the way).

Anyway, vote early, vote often, as they say.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Nemo" <Volksiebus@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:21 PM Subject: List sticker lobbying, my .02

Hello Volks,

I'm looking forward to ordering the stickers. I'm sure you are too. Let me just say that I hope that any list picked displays "vanagon.com" very prominently. Prominent enough that the other cars passing you, on the left of course, can read the "vanagon.com." (For those of you with ceramic coated engines or I5's presume that I meant your vanagon was passing traffic.)

The sticker can do two things. It can identify us to other listmemebers. Any of the designs would do that. I admit that most of them are very interesting and would look great on my van, especially the pseudo-deadhead stickers. But the sticker can advertise our list to nonmembers. Most of the more complex designs make it difficult to see our wepgage address. The stickers which say "vanagon.com" very prominently will advertise our site better.

Remember the first time you say a "Role/Hemp 96" sticker? (I'll bet Bob Dole loved that) "Ex-wife in trunk"? Stuck in your mind, right? I suggest vanagon.com, not a cute saying or even gerry.vanagon.com. vanagon.com can stick in the minds of people passing our vans. I make my living selling ideas to people. Simple works better.

Of course, you'll see that I have submitted just such a simple sticker. However, my vote will probably go to Ron "Mr. Roadcow" Bloomquist #4 because I like his rainbow colors much better.

AP: Early polls suggest that going coming out of Super Tuesday Bloomquist #4 has a slight lead over the McCain Straight Talk Sticker. McCain has countered with accusations that Mr. Bloomquist has spent far too much time and effort on the stickers. McCain also claims that Bloomquist is anti-Catholic and is possibly anti-Hindu, given is sacriligious use of the road-COW.

Not proofed for spelling cauze I'm incapable of doing so.

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.