Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:33:30 -0500
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONMARKETING.NET>
Subject:      List Sticker thoughts from sunny Portland, ME

(Apologies for tying up bandwidth here - this message can also be found on the sticker discussion forum at http://www.321website.com/members/home/data/kokopellis/ . However, as nobody has posted anything there yet, I figured I ought to post to the list to be safe)

my 2¢:

1) The sticker should be used so list members can identify each other. Identification should be able to be performed from a good distance away and while moving at a considerable speed, thus facilitating a wave, smile, u-turn, 6-car pile-up, whatever. With that being the goal, a sticker (for example) like 'Raul Cisneros #5' (MHO: maybe replace 'bus drivin' list member' with 'vanagon list member' and 'vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com' with 'vanagon.com' ) would seem to me to be the easiest to spot from a distance. (MHO: It kind of reminds me of the big letter/number on the subway trains in NYC - which is what I think we should be striving for here) In a perfect world, there'd be one on the front windshield and one on the rear. If you want to try and judge which stickers are the most 'visually distinct', squint your eyes really tightly so everything is blurry, then scroll through the stickers and see which ones still look like something recognizable!

2) The other scenario I can envision where the sticker might be useful is when your van is parked somewhere all by itself and some potential community member comes up and peeks inside. They'll think 'Wow, this thing is great - a bed, a fridge and all that room, yet it doesn't take up any more space in the parking lot than my crappy little car - I wonder how I could find out more?" Then they see the sticker... what should it say? Vanagon.com I think. They'll be able to find lots of valuable info there, including how to access the list. Sure there are other great sites out there, but which one would be easier to remember than Vanagon.com? Anything about gerry will just be confusing to anyone but us, and we're already list members.

3) Bear in mind that not everyone likes bumper stickers on their vehicles (yes, that'd be me!) and might be making an exception in this case because they think this is a 'worthy cause'. So stickers with clever sayings, allusions to The Dead, etc. might not be the best thing for everyone.

4) The "having a primary" idea proposed on the list is a great one - narrow it down first so we aren't throwing our votes away!

Doug Fitz-Randolph '90 Syncro Yarmouth, ME