Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:39:20 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: upper control arm
Comments: To: hugo lerner <bibliotk@XMISSION.COM>

[multipart/alternative]

This squeaking has been driving me nuts for a year now too. I just received all the goodies from Bus Depot necessary to replace all the front end bushings, ball joints, etc.

My plan is to replace both upper and lower bushings, ball joints, and do a complete brake job, including new rotors, caliper rebuild, pads, and wheel bearings.

Cost for all the parts (Syncro): ~$500.00

Let me know if you want part numbers

Brent Christensen Manager Strategic Programs InfoGenesis www.infogenesis.com (805) 681-8600 xt. 414

-----Original Message----- From: Karl M [mailto:thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM] Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 11:08 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: upper control arm

Don't overlook the balljoint itself as the source of the squeak, especially if the boot is, or has been, torn/cracked. I've seen quite a few balljoints squeak/creak in my 20 years of Vw repair. The best way to rid the squeak for good, is to replace the balljoint AND the bushings at the same time (unless of course the bushings were done recently and correctly). Still less than the junkyard arm at $75 or so.

Karl von Müllendorf WestyVentures 1987 Syncro Westfalia 1.9 TD 'Otto' 1988 Audi 80 Quattro 'Car'