Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:27:14 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <vwjag@HAMMER.CS.JHU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: timing question
Comments: To: Travelbike@aol.com
Comments: cc: diesel@vwfans.com

I agree that the description in Bentley is confusing. The problem is that they tell you what do to, but do not motivate why or explain how the procedure relates to the function of the pump.

In addition to Dana's excellent clarification let me add: Look at the injection pump drawing on my page (link below, click on injection pump).

Find the cam plate in the drawing. The "bumps" on it is what drives the plunger in and out.

The purpose of the first several steps is just to make sure that you move the cam rollers to a point between the bumps and then you "pre load", ie make sure that the dial gauge is in contact with the plunger. All this is so that you start your measurement from the 0-lift reference point.

The last step; the movement back to TDC is what measures the lift. (and should be done precisely by sighting TDC from straight above)

Cheers, Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Travelbike@aol.com

Just got a timing gage and have read the Bentley Mannual a few times. Just a few questions on the procedure.

Step 1 - Turn crankshaft till the TDC mark on flywheel aligns to pointer at the bell housing hole with all valves closed. STILL OK to this point.

Step 2 - Remove timing check plug. Screw in tool till gage till it indicates 2.5mm Still OK

Step 3 - Using wrench on Crank bolt. Turn crankshaft counter clockwise normal direction till gage stops moving. Question - As you turn the crankshaft, should the reading on the gage increase from 2.5mm going up ? My assumption is yes since the injection pump is moving back in preparation for the plunge to TDC.

Step 4 - Readjust the dial indicator so you can zero it with a 1mm preload Question - this is where I get a bit confused. At this point, do you just turn the dial face so that the arrow points to Zero on the dial face ?

Step 5 - Turn crankshaft till TDC in normal direction. Dial should read to about timing limits in the mannual (.90-1mm for 84 NA).

In short, is the procedure done so that we can check that the plunger travel from step 3 to step 5 (TDC) is about 1mm max for an 84 diesel NA ?

Sorry for this stupid sounding question. Thanks to all for any help