Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:14:10 PST
From:         Micheal Finn <mcfinn70@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Leaking Oil like the Exxon Valdez

I'm loosing lots of oil ('84 1.9 L), I probably need to rebuild the motor, but I'm short of cash and the oily beauty is my only transport (other car was just totaled). I'm trying to find ways of holding her together for the next few months.

I'm blowing oil through the exhust. Does this automaticly mean I have a cracked block, or could it be something more manageable like a bad gasket on the oil pump, oil breather tube or maybe even the oil fill spout?

If I do need to start replacing gaskets on the block, are there any I can do with out pulling the engiene? I have not seen any evidence of coolent leakage, but I'm loosing about 1 quart every 2 days (or 200 miles).

The oil leaks started when I had a bolt on heater attached to the underside of block. The tech pulled the bolts that hold the two side of the block together to bolt the heater on. Any ideas for a poor dumb un-vanworthy joe hazelwood type?? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com