Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:54:52 -0500
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Avoid Parts Place at all costs!! (was Re: TDI engines $1999.95)

Rene Berube (rberube@ALLTEL.NET) said on the date of 3/11/00 7:26 PM

>Parts Place in AUburn Hills has new TDI engines, Turbo and injection >pump, motor mounts included for $1999.95 US. (248)373-2300.

And if my, and numerous others' experience hold true, one of the following will happen:

1. You order one, after talking to rather knowledgable phone rep, who sadly explains that the *real* price for a "new" engine is $2500, as the $1999.95 price you calculated included the "coupon" printed in their catalog, which isn't really a coupon, just a badly worded price comparison. You receive an engine, it *is* a TDI engine, but it obviously isn't new, by any stretch of the imagination, it has junkyard yellow paint scribbles on it, and it might even be broken. You call the nice phone rep, who patiently explains that when they say "new" they really mean that it hasn't been actually melted down or sold for scrap. (Something to this effect is really in their catalog!!). You ask to return the engine, and they agree, as long as you ship it back at your own cost.

2. You order one, and actually get the price in the catalog. You recieve a 1.7L gas Rabbit engine, used. You call, they apologize, but refuse to pay for return shipping despit their obvious mistake. You fall for this and pay the $100 or so to ship the engine back. Weeks later, after a few calls, they ship you a 1.6L Dasher diesel engine, again used. Being a sucker, and having enjoyed their catalog and thinking that because they are the only used VW parts vendor to have bought your name from your state's DMV to send you a catalog, *someone* up there must have a brain, you again ship the engine back at your cost. Weeks later, you recieve a 1.7L gas Rabbit engine. It is on the same skid and crate you used to ship it back to them. It looks similar, but you didn't write the serial numbers down. You call and ask for shipping reimbursement, a refund, and for them to pick up their engine. They refuse. Thankfully, your bank forgives you, and given your mounds of documentation, they refuse to pay "Parts Place" Miraculously, they pick up the engine. You decide that going to Michigan to get your $200 or so back isn't worth the trouble, and take solace in the fact that when you complain about them on the internet, you find that *many* people share your experiences.

You fall asleep, dreaming of a horde of ripped-off VW owners converging on "Parts-Place's" VW show, demanding refunds.

(the above is obviously fiction, but is derived from my personal experiences being ripped off by parts place and similar experineces detailed by others)

Caveat Emptor!

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 99 A3 Jetta TDI 85GL with basic Westy interior 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat, 98 Kid 52 House