Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Mar 2000 01:11:57 -0800
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Getting parts numbers (& rumor of dealer parts departments)
Comments: To: Dale <zeldah@PRAIRIE.LAKES.COM>

Dear Dale -

Specifically:

CV joint/boot kit (Lobro, OE maker): 251 598 101, around $75 each (includes joint, boot, retainer, bolts and "schnoor" washers) (4 per vehicle) Upper ball joint: 251 407 361, around $38 ea.. (2 per vehicle) Lower ball joint: 251 407 187, " " " (2 per vehicle) Upper control arm bushings: 251 407 077, $25 ea. (4 per vehicle) Coil springs: are normally only available new from the dealer - you don't even WANT to know how much they cost unless you are fabulously wealthy and love your van DEEPLY... Stabilizer bar: can be had from a used parts emporium (AKA junkyard) for $10-$50 depending on the proprietor. Stabilizer bushings: are also a dealer part, don't remember the cost or number (rarely used).

Generally:

Calling the dealer for part numbers usually works OK, if you can accurately describe the part. VW parts departments are really rather stone-age when it comes to their catalogue technology. They still rely on VERY poor quality diagrams on micro-fiche film. Be patient with them... Best thing, if you know what the part looks like and where on the vehicle it lives, is to go to the dealership and let them show you the fiche, so you can point to the part with your own finger (or pencil, better yet).

HOT FLASH, BY THE WAY: According to the beleaguered and overworked parts people at Sonnen VW in Marin County, CA, VW is working on a digital parts system and will soon be implementing same! This is very good news for those of us who engage in lengthy phone conversations trying to describe some itty-bitty for-want-of-a-nail type part that the van won't run without and isn't available anywhere else. Japanese and American car manufacturers have had this type of system in place for at least three years now, and I am constantly annoyed with the luddites von der Vaterland for dragging their heels so stubbornly. But then the Germans have always been a bit laggard in the digital age. Except that the VW D-jet injection system was pretty much the FIRST production electronic (computer controlled) fuel delivery system... Odd, that...

They - VW San Rafael - offered me their fiche readers and old fiches when this happens. Of course, at that point, we should be able to get a CD with all the info on it - much better than a clunky old fiche reader. But this may be beyond the scope of what they have in mind. MY vote would be for the DIAL system I use for ordering from WorldPac (probably the largest supplier of OE and OEQ parts outside VW - unfortunately they only sell to distributors and jobbers), wherein I can look up and order everything online, look at photos of the parts, not have to wait on hold...