Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Mar 2000 07:27:47 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! oil filter stuck
Comments: To: Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Woody:

This is exactly why I have a selection of about 6 different types of wrenches in my toolbox! :-)

The strap wrench is the way to go, IMHO - try wrapping a *dry* towel/rag around the filter and then carefully apply the strap wrench (this makes the filter "bigger" and the strap wrench will have less play).

Hold the strap on the filter while you push the handle into it as far back as possible to take up the slack. Then hold it in place to keep it from slipping back while you start cranking down on it. This method works every time for me.

Let's hope you don't have to resort to the dreaded "jamb a screwdriver through it and bang with a hammer" trick...

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA