Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Mar 2000 07:42:20 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Q re: newly acquired 1997 EVC
Comments: To: Alexis Neely <legalex@YAHOO.COM>

When you say "we" I am assuming that you are talking about your husband coming along too, right? That makes three of you if my math is correct (I haven't had my coffee yet - its only 7:30 AM here)

If you put the baby up front (bad idea, IMHO) where was the non-driving adult going to sit? On the floor in the back?

We have been camping with infants and toddlers for a couple years (one is 3 and the other is 6 weeks old now). With our first, we always put the car seat on the back bench nearest the cabinets (safest spot, since it is nearest the center of the vehicle.

Trust me, when you stop to camp, you normally spend a lot of time outside the van - you will want the car seat outside to stick the kidlet in and plop on the ground/on the picnic bench/etc. That way she can sit in her car seat while you set up camp, etc. This leaves the rear bench free and accessible. I even brought straps and rigged up a way to secure the car seat to picnic table benches so that it did double duty as a feeding station as well. (We used to joke about how much time our daughter would spend in that car seat when we camped.) When she was old enough to walk, and was toddling around a camp site, she would always climb into the car seat to play and then fall asleep!

Now meal times while it is raining (and you have to eat inside) is a bit tricky. The best things we found was to put the car seat in the same spot as for driving, and have one parent sit next to her and eat, while the other parent sits in the turned-around front seat. (Do the EV's have a front table, too?)

Have a great trip - I'm jealous. :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

It's here, it's here! We brought our 97 EVC home to Miami from Ft. Myers yesterday. Todd, my husband, drove it home and he said it drove great.

It's a 1997 with 23,300 miles on it. And, it's still under VW warranty for a while because it did not go into service until 5/98.

A question that has been bugging me. We will be making a major trek across the country in August when we move out to LA. We plan on taking about 6 weeks and going through Canada. We have a 4 month old daughter. She will be about 9-10 months during the trip. My dilemma is where to place her car seat.

My options:

1. Have passenger side airbag removed (is this possible?) and put her seat in the front seat.

2. Put her seat in the front seat and have the front seat turned facing the rear (is it possible to lock the seat in this position?)

3. Somehow mount her seat to the floor where the middle seat would be if we had it in.

4. Put her seat in the rear bench. (probably the safest, but definitely the most inconvenient. This would require that someone sit back there, that we move her seat everytime we make the bed, that we make the bed everytime we drive, and in general seems like it would suck.)

Thanks for your input!

Alexis

=====

Alexis Martin Neely