Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:30:03 -0500
From:         Chris <ncbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      <no subject>
Comments: To: vintagebus <vintagebus@type2.com>, type2 list <type2@type2.com>,
          "Chad F. Sibert" <csibert@netmcr.com>,
          Jennifer Murphy <splitendz14@hotmail.com>,
          TRAVIS SMALL <microbus1963@hotmail.com>

The bus was heading due South through gusty winds that knocked it about like a kitten batting a ball across the floor. I was trying to beat the Sun but the white knuckle express could only maintain a cruising speed of 50mph against the gusts. As six o'clock approached the 4 lane highway choked down to two and a line of annoyed motorists filed in behind the bus for the last 12 miles into rural Rockingham Co.

The rains began as I turned off Hwy 220 on to 73 and I could feel the collective sigh of releif from the line of people in a hurry but were stuck behind me. The directions were in my head but I really did not know where I was going or looking for. Fortunately Jennifer had made some signs and grin appeared on my face every time I passed a big blue and yellow \X/ on the side of the lonesome two lane black top.

The rains became heavier as the raod ran along the crest of ridge of the once mighty Uwharreies. I was so taken by the beauty of the view that I blew right by the last turn sign. No problem though; I just turned off on a logging road, did a three point turn that would make any driving instuctor blush and corrected my course.

It wasn't long after getting back on the right track that I found the last sign that marked the turn into Travis's woodsy hideaway. Past the agro gate and a quarter mile down the dirt road I spied a lonely flip top Westy parked in front of a house with a tin roof that looked out upon 200 acres of managed logging land.

Travis is a tree freak in the nicest sense of the term. He is finishing his degree in forestry the May and will talk you ear off about anything having to do with trees. He passion and knowlegde for the forest is unsurpased by any bus drivers love for their bus. That is love!

One last sign by the house pointed into the woods so I quickly turned left amongst the trees and began a decent on a raod that had been cut with a bulldozer just a week or so ago. I snaked down past a drip burn patch and into the woods for a bumpy but fun ride. After several hundered yards I came out into a clearing that was nestled in the turn of river( actually a stream that feeds the mighty Pee Dee.

The rain had stopped and I had not even noticed as I appraoched the first buses. At the end of the trail a pitfire was burning nicely and John had just finished putting up a 20x20' shelter of poles and tarp. More rain was forcast for the evening to be accompanied by strong winds, lightning and thunder. The threat of severe weather had kept many away but those who braved and endured natures less tender side were richer for it.

Three generations of buses were present. John and his family arrived in the '61 crew cab. Jen and Travis in the '65 deluxe, Matt in the '70 hardtop Westy( You may remember Matt as the listmember with and exhaust leak that caused him to take a mythical voyage to the Moon:) me in the '72 westfakia and a nice couple in a mid 80s Vanagon Westy. Also present was Erik who had forsaken the Westy and the his ubiquitos thing in favor of his newest pasion: The Styer-Puch Pinzgauer.

What a beast it is. The Pinzgauer is an Austrian built Swiss military Transport. This particular vehicle was built in 1972 and sports an aircooled inline 4, fully locking differentails and monster gear reductions boxes on each wheel that make a Hummer look silly. The Pinz could climb a tree if it did not crush it first.

Greetings were exchanged as I surveyed the area for a campsite. I decided that close to the fire and the shelter was a good chaice considering the fury about to be unleahsed upon us.

Next order of business was to find a botte opener the release the Newcastle from its glassy bodage. Having accomplished that I pulled a chair out of the Westfakia and camp was officially set up.

Donna was nice enough to make enough burgers and potato salad to feed anybody who was hungry and we all were! After dinner we gathered around the campfire and did what we all do best: drink beer and talk about VWs with occasion references thrown in to other mundane activities. Then the rains came.

The rest of the evening was spent between running back and forth from the shelter( thanks to John for his civic minded foresight) to the fire as the storms came and went. We each fought a personal battle between warm and wet by the fire and cold and very slowly drying off under the shelter. The results were mixed but eventually the stars replaced the clouds and warm and dry saved the evening!

After many beers and tales of buses, kids, tress and working for the man it was suddenly 2:00 AM. We said goodnight and crawled back to our buses for a deep sleep only to be awaked by the kiss of the sweet morning Sun.

I was awoken by my cruel and unforgiving bladder 7:00. After binding arbitration it was decided that I would get of the bus and provide relief. I wandered past the fire and on to the rivebank which had been covered in darkness the evening before and I was awestruck at its quiet beauty. I stood silently as I watched the current move past the bluff and on to the sea 200 miles away. I daydreamed about the Schwimmwagen that Erik told me was in opereation just a few miles from our homes back in Greensboro. Could it be done? Could a Schwimmwagen negotiate the gentle river all the way to Charleston? I was distracted by the thought of Orange Juice and donaughts that were awaiting me back at the bus.

I packed up the bus and hit the raod early so I could get back home and see Michele and the kids. They are coming on the next trip and I cant wait ! -- Chris Greensboro,NC '72 Westfakia '67 Deluxe http://www.mindspring.com/~ncbus/