Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:14:13 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant pipes diagram for 1.9 (rusty gas tank/ farphrumuven
              II)

Despite what the Bentley may say or show here, I believe it is a universal practice to have the outflow from the radiator at the bottom to give less chance of providing the waterpump with air and to utilize the natural laws of physics regarding cooler/hotter densities.

-Dana-

Ray Nemo wrote: > > Hi folks. I finished cutting out the old rusty coolant pipes and have > replaced them with Gates rubber hose. I'm a little unsure of the diagrams in > bently. (Mines an OLD Bently-- only covers to 1985.) > > Volks, if you haven't worked on your hoses yet, this may make little sense. > If anyone is willing to look under their 1.9 wasserboxer, I'd really > appreciate some help. > > My confusion is regarding which coolant hose is the return and which is the > feed. Bently 19.10 makes makes it pretty clear that the hose which comes out > the bottom of the radiator is the return. This hose comes out of the radiator > running vertically and makes a 90 degree turn so it then runs horizontally to > the back of the bus. The other hose seems to be the feed. This hose is > almost straight. Is this right? > > My concern is 19.14. The hose which is labelled the return seems to connect > to the pipe that was on the right side. This pipe then connected to uppermost > hose that runs along the front of the engine compartment. This is opposite of > my notes and labels. However, it's hard to tell which pipes are being > represented on the diagram. > > My reading of Bently is that the lowermost hose that runs along the front of > the engine compartment connected to the left coolant pipe which connected to > the almost straight hose which feeds the radiator? Correct? Clear as mud? > > Thanks, > Ray > > (All directions given per Muir's Idiot Manual front-means-front manner-- front > means front, left is driver's side, right is passenger side, rear means rear, > even when applied to the engine, ie the front of the engine is closer to the > rear seat and farther from rear bumper.) > > ____________________________________________________________________ > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.