Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:12:18 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synchro vs Non-Synchro
Comments: To: Kim Springer <kspringr@IX.NETCOM.COM>

A Syncro (notice there is no "h" in Syncro) is a totally different beast. As an owner of a Syncro Westy, I can tell you that there are innumerable differences from a 2WD which makes them very unique. My advice would be to stick with 2WD unless you want/need 4WD. The reason I say this is that they are a bit more work to maintain and a bit more expensive, and if you don't love it for being a Syncro (like I do) you could find it tiresome. They are also about 300 lbs heavier, and don't get as good gas mileage as a 2WD . (For example, I get about 15-17 MPG where a lot of 2WD Westies talk about getting 20+ MPG.

On the other hand, if you feel the need for a really unique and superior 4WD vehicle, the Syncro is GREAT! You will also join the ranks of a great sub-group within the list community where we do neat stuff like have custom springs made and import shocks by the container load from Australia. :-)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Kim Springer [mailto:kspringr@IX.NETCOM.COM] Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 12:09 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Synchro vs Non-Synchro

Tobin,

Thanks for the encouragement.

To All (even Eric),

Maybe this is a good subject for some review. My understanding is that the mounting of the front diff' and the extra "ladder beam" that you find on the synchos is completely different than what you find underneath the Non-Syncho.

I myself have never crawled under the two to compare.

Feedback from the viewing audience?

Thanks, Kim

[text/html]