Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:21:18 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      RSA grills

Those Republic of South Africa grills again.

I'm not sure, but I think you'll find that the little square factory lights may give really poor illumination. My bus has factory QH (nonsealed-beam) round lights and are extremely good. The RSA grill and small inner lights will be fine for the US market, but the large outer lights are RHD and will have the low-beam cutoff on the wrong side; you'll need your existing lights with this grill.

If anyone finds a supplier for the grills who responds tom enquiries, please let me know! I've been trying to get a set (upper & lower) for over a year. An RSA dealer said he would sell me a set and offered me a new Audi engine/trans kit at the same time. I declined the kit and he declined any further correspondence!

Two dealers in England began correspondence regarding these grills, which are sold there, but also dropped out of touch. There're some nice folks around the VW scene...

You could try these and see if you have any luck: -Shelleys VW, Port Elizabeth, RSA <shellven@mweb.co.za> -Tony Newman, Transporter Spares, England, fax: (country code)-181-977-1076 (he said he'd e-mail me but never did, and so I don't have the number) -Mark Reynolds, Just Kampers, England <sale@justkampers.co.uk> Tell them I sent you (then again, that might guarantee that they don't reply!).

Just Kampers sent me an unsolicited catalog (9th edition). Prices for the grills: -4-headlight grill kit JK1495. Includes 2x inner spotlights, grill, badge & mounts.

Uses your existing headlights. Price 199 pounds. -Bottom radiator grill kit (full-width lower seal grill according to Shelleys) JK2539.

Incorporates your existing indicators. 115 pounds.

The main grill by itself transforms the bus' appearance, and both together are great.

I'm a lifer also. VW vans (of all rear-engined kinds) really are addictive, aren't they?

Regards Andrew 1984 Caravelle