Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:15:10 -0600
From:         Ryan Heidcamp <ryan.heidcamp@SPANLINK.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon bike rack (sort of long)

Before I throw my opinion in on this let me just start this out by saying that for years I worked at a bike shop selling every variety of rack including Thule but not Yakima and may still be able to get the list a deal.

My roommate just bought a Yakima for his Jetta (96), so I am fairly sure that they are still in business. (In fact the store that he moonlights at sells them so he was able to proform it from Yakima). However I helped him set it up and I was not all that impressed with the design. I currently have a Thule on my Jetta (94)and maybe I am biased but I believe that the mounting of the Thule to the roof and the design seems a lot stronger. Thule uses the mounts that are built into the roof by VW and Yakima just clips onto the door jambs. I have thought about putting a roof rack on my Westy, and after seeing a Yakima rack up close, I would put a Thule on the Westy before a Yakima. But like I said maybe I am just biased or maybe it is just poor design of the model that Yakima sells for the Jetta.

One other thing to keep in mind. My Westy just clears the garage door as it sits without a rack. There is no way it would fit with a rack on the roof.

Since I used to work at a shop that sold Thule and am still keep in contact with my old boss. I am sure that if there was some interest that he would be willing to put a deal together from Thule for the Vanagon list. Not real sure how that would work, because we always installed the racks for the customer the first time. Since this takes the most time and we always wanted to make sure that it was done right. You sure don't want a customer paying a lot of money for a rack and then the items they are carrying on the rack leaving the vehicle when they are traveling down the road. Let me know if there is some interest and I will talk to him and see what he thinks. My guess is he would knock some of the price and then send the items to your address with directions from Thule on how to install the rack and then the shop would be available via phone or email if you had more questions.

Ryan Heidcamp ryan.heidcamp@spanlink.com