Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:40:37 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: How best to JB weld pitted heads?
Comments: To: Roy Mellor <roym@ARISTOTLE.NET>

Funny you should mention that. I just got through putting a layer on my left head today. I did my right head last year and things are still tight so I guess I got it right. I didnt find any instructions either so I just did was seemed needed with what I had on hand in the house. Prime directive being to do no harm to the head. That ment no power tools or coarse files or emery as these work a little too quickly for safty. Next rule was to always use a large block while sanding so as to ensure no hills and valleys are sanded into the heads. Other than that I just went for it. JB Weld comes in two flavors, regular and quickset. It is the regular that has made the reputation of JB so use that. That quickset is new and untried; VW heads are lousy test-beds. First thing I did was to make VERY sure everything was CLEAN and oil free. Easiest way to do this is with a good carb cleaner and a wire brush. Get all that crud out of the pits so the JB will hold. Pick it out with a needle if necessary. Next mix the JB as per instructions and apply. I do mine in a few "coats" in the deeper pits so as to minimize bubbles. Next comes a fine flat file applied GENTLY to smooth the lumps from the JB. This followed by another "coat" if needed. When things look good I go over the surface with a file card (very stiff wire brush for cleaning files)to clean things up then "polish" with fine emery cloth on a large sanding block. Just to make sure all was as it should be before bolting it back on I took the head down to the place where I get my parts and showed it to them. They took the head and vanished into the garage area for a few minutes and when they returned they said it was "perfect". So the left is getting done the same way.