Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:24:28 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fw: vc install/alignment?
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>
Comments: cc: syncro@onelist.com

I was avoiding responding because I have been busy. But you suckered me by buttering me up.

At 06:55 PM 3/13/00 -0800, you wrote: >Derek, >You are the VC expert.... can you answer the questions below??? > > > >Volks I need some help, > > > >On page 39.43 of my Bentley there are 3 notes at the bottom of the page >that > >concern me: > > > >1. "CAUTION: The installed position of the driveshaft must be noted for > >reinstallation. Vibrations due to incorrect installation can cause cracks >in > >the transmission housing or engine block." > > > >How do you do this? Are they talking about the rotational position that the > >drive shaft bolts on to the transmission and the front differential > >flanges?... like mark it so the same holes line up when you reinstall it? > >

This simply means to put the front end back in the front, and the back end back in the back.

It is much better if you can line up the holes too, and put each bolt hole back to the same bolt hole to which it was previously attached.

> >2. "align front final drive [front differential] in longitudinal direction > >and tighten mounting bolts"

After attaching the driveshaft, wiggle the front diff around as much as you can and then try to make it strait. Then retighten the bolts holding it there.

> >3. "CAUTION: Front final drive alignment must be done to ensure driveshaft > >is installed without distortion." > > > >Okay, can anyone tell me what this procedure entails? There have been some > >allusions on the list to the effect that this is a special procedure... > >I.e., more than just visually assuring that the driveshaft does not bind > >before tightening the final drive bolts.

The text string "visually assuring that the driveshaft does not bind before tightening the final drive bolts" is not meaningful to me.

> >Also, Dr. Rainer mentioned this morning that when removing the drive shaft > >that the 8 bolts and nuts are a special locking type that need to be > >replaced with new ones... But I can't find this requirement in the > >Bentley... any advice on this?

They are supposed to be replaced, but nobody does. As Tim Smith says, just loctite them. Or go overboard and buy a box of them from Mr. Metric to keep costs down, and then change the nuts every time you take the drive shaft out. This is what I did.

Trick to getting the nuts off: try using a 1/2 inch wrench rather than the metric one. It is a little tighter and can get the nuts off when the regular nuts won't comeoff.

> >Also, seems someone mentioned replacing the nuts on the final drive (front > >differential) as they are supposed to be crimped or locking types that > >should be replaced... but I can find nothing in the Bentley on this > >either... and I'm not sure the nuts have to be entirely removed since the > >front differential may only have to be loosened, not removed.

You will have to remove the nuts from the front of the driveshaft but not the rear of the driveshaft.

> >Thanks for your help, > >Bill > >90 Westy Syncro > >

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder www.ConsumerSearch.com 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@consumersearch.com drew@interport.net 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home).