Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:58:08 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: luggage rack seal

> Inherited a new luggage rack and pop top seal kit from PO. Installed the > luggage rack seal and am having problems getting the rack to fit > back on the van. The actual seal is O-shaped (and sits > next to, and sorta down a bit from the U-channel)

> I think your using the wrong seal. It sounds like the seal you > are using on the luggage rack is meant to go on the pop-top part. > The luggage rack seal isn't really a seal at all but a decorative edging. > There is meant to be a small gap all around to allow the water to drain out. > Across the front of the pop-top portion is a flat seal. It is different from > both the luggage rack seal and the pop-top side and back seal. > I just put one on, looks great!

Eric is right. Obviously the PO didn't buy their seals from me. Several vendors (including the large ones) simply ship a shorter length of poptop seal (with bulb) as their "luggage rack seal." As Eric notes, this prevents correct drainage, and it also makes it a real pain to install. But it's easier for the vendor because they can use one product for both poptop and luggage rack seal. Several vendors go a step further by including yet another length of the same poptop seal in place of the flat seal that Eric refers to!

All three of these are different seals with different jobs. The ones I ship are correct for their purpose. Even my poptop seal is designed slightly differently from the others' for a better fit. Without an insulation bulb your luggage rack seal will install much more easily. I have new ones for $14.95, it would probably be worth just getting the correct one.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW