Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:28:00 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer reliability
Comments: To: Brandt Milczewski <brandtam@EARTHLINK.NET>

Brandt Milczewski wrote: > > OK... > > I've had my '85 Westy for 3 weeks. Had one head replaced right before I > bought it (burned valve). Then I replaced the CV joint on the right > side. It runs great now. I've been on the list for 2 weeks and have a > *serious* question. > > Can I take this thing across the country without worrying about breaking > down or not? I love my van but I need to know will I always love it as a > hobby or can it be a reliable traveler?

It can be a reliable traveler, and it can also break down without warning. Are you a risk taker? All of us Vanagon owners are to some extent, or we would buy a new car every couple of years and not worry about breakdowns or repairs!

You have missed my earlier posts about what I call CAR-MA, the relationship that seems to form between you and a vehicle you really appreciate and take care of. I have never been stranded by any of my old vehicles or put into a dangerous position by a failure. I have had several breakdowns and failures over the years, but all have happened after getting off the freeway, or close to home where they could be dealt with safely and relatively conveniently. And, none have been so major I couldn't continue on in a short time. It is almost like the car holds itself together just long enough to get out of harm's way before giving in to some system failure.

Others have experienced this uncanny relationship which can be summarized as follows: You take care of your car and it will take care of you.

Enjoy your trip, pay attention to your van's needs and you will be fine. >

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com