Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:58:26 EST
From:         Ron Semko <Skyraider0113@CS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer reliability
Comments: To: brandtam@earthlink.net

I've had my 1984 Vanagon for 4 years, going on 5, and I have literally put about 100,000 miles on it (I bought it with 170,000 miles on it.)

My opinion is:

For a 16 year old vehicle I am amazed at how well it has held up. Since I've had it I have replaced the CV boots (not the joints, just the boots), the radiator, a couple of coolant hoses, the fuel injection hoses, and have had the 4 speed transmission rebuilt, and cleaned all the ground connections.

I've also replaced a couple of other things like the mirrors, and the sliding door handle, and the bumpers. I've done the capacitor fix, and replaced the throttle body switches, and the muffler ( I need to replace the exhaust pipes soon), and replaced the driver and passenger window gaskets.

I found a pristine interior in a 1987 wrecked Vanagon, bought it and installed the whole interior (including the headliner and the material that covers the metal between the side panels and the headliner) into my 1984.

And, that's about it.

I just traveled to and from Charleston, S.C. with a group of Cub Scouts, and Boy Scouts in a caravan of 15 vehicles (mostly new "mini" vans, and SUV's). I rolled along with them all the way averaging 65/70 miles per hour. No overheating, or problems of any type on the 6 hour one way trip. I would drive my Vanagon to California tomorrow if I needed to, because:

I am intimately aware of my Vehicle. I have been under, and in, and through my whole unit. I have the experience of knowing it's strong and weak points (and all vehicles have both strong and weak points). I am confident that if it does break down, I can fix it (with the help of my bently, and the wisdom of this list).

I'm not a mechanic, I'm a director of sales and marketing at an RV Resort. I do have some mechanical skills, but I have more confidence than skills. I have seen and read, and heard, and from many listmembers their problems and solutions, and this more than anything else, has given me confidence.

It is my opinion, based on experience, that our so called wasserleakers are well engineered, well built, vehicles. I mean come on here it's 16 years old with over 250,000 miles on it, what does one realistically expect? I believe that for the year and mileage, I have both an economical, and reliable mode of transportation.

Ron Semko Orlando, Florida