Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:11:58 -0500
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge operation
Comments: To: MVAone@AOL.COM

> >Fridge on propane cools but not really too well. The LED that indicates it is >lit is 50% as bright as the green battery condition LED. Is this normal?

In my 85 it is normal. I have to shade the LED in daylight just to tell if it is lit. I also can not see the flame through the little spy hole in the fridge. I have to guess and hope to get it lit. It usually does light though, and stays lit when driving. I find that the propane works nearly as well as 120 volts, better than 12 volts.

>Also it appears that the fridge does not cool on 12 volts. I could >not fine a fuse. Is there one?

The 12 volt only operates when the ignition is on, I use it when I am traveling between places where I will plug in to 120 volts.

>Finally, how long will the fridge run on a full propane tank?

I have run it for several weeks off an on, and aver a week continuously on the same trip. Can't say exactly how long. I know of no way to tell when it is getting low, I just wait until it runs out, then fill up an next propane station. Unless you are going way out of the way for a long time, it works.

>I have the article on how to take out the fridge and clean it etc. I >just am wondering if I am experiencing normal operation of need to >do this pita job.

I think you are normal, fridge too. Taking it out is a real PITA, especially the first time, and the second time. After that it is only a normal pita, since you will have learned some tricks.

Stay cool...

Jim in Atlanta with Herbie, '85 Westy