Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:40:41 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Gerry's on the move this weekend - REQUIRED READING!

As a few of you may know, I moved to a new house the first week of January. Gerry stayed behind at the old house to keep an eye on things and to make sure my other servers didn't get lonely.

Well, the DSL line is up and running at the new house for a few weeks now, so I feel comfortable that it is stable. Both volksweb.relitech.com and www.relitech.com servers moved over last week, and I haven't noticed any timeout problems.

So here's the plan:

I'll do a full backup of Gerry on starting Friday night at 9:00PM or so. If you think web archive searches are slow now, just try it while backups are running! ;) The list will be up and running during this time, just the mail delivery will be a tad slower.

At 4:00PM or so on Saturday afternoon, Gerry will be shut down and gently transported to the new house a mile away. I've alerted local TV and radio stations and the County Council , so maybe there will be a parade and press coverage...or maybe not.

Ron will be responsible for updating his DNS record at this time. The new IP address for Gerry will be 208.37.250.151

Depending on how long the public and private festivities last, Gerry should be in his new home and cranking out the mail at about 6:00PM. There may be some delays when you send E-mail to the list, depending on how soon your ISP's DNS servers figger out the change happened. Mail from Gerry to you will not be affected.

Here's what had better not happen:

DO NOT send "Is the server up yet?" e-mail to the list. To do so invites ridicule by me and a few others. I'll post a message when things are running again. If you are dying to know "fer sure" if the list is up, use this handy troubleshooting tip:

Send an E-mail message to "listserv@gerry.vanagon.com" NOTE-NOT THE "vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com" address.

Leave the subject line blank

In the message, type in the word "thanks" (without the quotes) and send it.

If the server is up and running, it will respond to your message, and also give you oh-so-useful little tidbits of info like how much RAM is in the system and how long it took to process the request.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please p-mail them to me. This list is for discussing Vanagons, not the methodology of server moves. ;)

Thanks, TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback