Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 2000 07:03:39 -0800
From:         "Buettner, Peter" <PGB@DOLBY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Dies, Relays clicking...
Comments: To: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>

I had the exact same problem with my van. The Engine would occasionally shut down out of the blue and when trying to restart the relays click like crazy. It turned out that the cable for the ECU and Fuel Injection power supply was bad.

I would also check the ignition switch first as Mark suggested. Easy to do. I you have a Digifant ECU that has been converted for the Digitool you can plug this in and see what the Digitool says. What I saw with my problem was simply no power, dead (if the ECU doesn't get any power, the Digitool doesn't get any either). Test the power supply to the ECU by removing the right (passenger side) connector from the relay box in the engine compartment. The connector has two pins. The left one (driver side) is the power supply (solid red) and the other one (red/black) is for the dealer diagnostic tool (so you don't need to worry about connecting it for the test). Connect a cable to the left pin and connect it straight to the alternator. If everything is fine now you also got a bad cable.

Good luck! Peter

-----Original Message----- From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM [mailto:KENWILFY@AOL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2000 7:49 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Van Dies, Relays clicking...

Have an '86 Vanagon in the shop right now. Customer has been complaining of the van dying occasionally (sometimes after going over bumps). When he tries to restart the engine turns over but won't start. He hears relays clicking several times(like the two in the engine compartment) while he is turning it over. Then cranks it again with no relays clicking and the engine starts. I am leaning toward a bad ignition switch on this one. Anyone ever had a similar experience. Engine runs pretty well otherwise and has lots of new parts on it (the guy was basically replacing everything before he brought it to me, trying to solve the problem that way). Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Phone: (856)-765-1583 Shop: (856)-327-0027 Fax: (856)-327-2242

[text/html]