Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:26:57 -0500
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: oil filter for 2.1 l WBX?

>I wouldn't get the Bosch filter as it is a rebadged cheapy filter. Only use >the Mann or Mahle filters for the Vanagon as any other ones will cause a low >oil pressure condition (just enough to have your oil light blink on at stop >lights, etc).

That is a ludicrous statement. I have not used a Mann or Mahle filter in decades on any VW, excepting my Corrado G60 and used it there only because without the built on nut it was a POS to change. Any quality filter will do very nicely including any better part store filter. I've never ever seen an oil pressure light flicker on a waterboxer, period (well not counting my '85 that intemittently grounded to the exhaust.)

The Bosch is to be avoided, as are Fram's but in the latter case simply because they lack the proper antidrainback valve (both lack it actually.) I've cut apart a few filters of various brands and if it has the anti-drainback stuff it likely has as much filter media to the naked eye as any other. Nothing at all scientific, and at the $4 or so Ken, or Ron, or anyone else wants for Mann/Mahle no reason not to just use them, but frankly if anyone sees any sort of flickering oil lights with any sort of oil filter, it is more than likely NOT the filter. Even if it were some incredibly higher resistant filter, I'd still wager it being a good sign of impending problem. I don't buy it ever happening though.

Oddly the only time I've ever had such a problem was with a particular batch of Mahle filters for the G60 Corrado, all of which I rapidly trashed. I think the problem there was something wrong with the valving.

A little aside though is that filters with the proper antidrainback valving can NOT be prefilled, whereas the cheaper styles can be (at least 3/4 of the way in a waterboxer) and it might be interesting to do years of study as to whether the trauma of dry startup is worse than the use of presumeably cheaper filter media. (yeah right)

Nothing special about something made in Brazil just cause it has a German name on it, or made in the US as I think the Bosch are. People, buy the Mann/Mahle if you like, the price is right, no reason not to, but don't go worrying if you don't have one back there. I'd also stick to them for diesel oil filters.

John (with a couple hundred thousand miles at least on some cheaper filters) jander14@wvu.edu