Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:00:19 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: oil filter for 2.1 l WBX?
Comments: To: jander14@wvu.edu

Wow, listen, I speak only from personal experience. Every time a customer comes to my shop complaining of oil light flickering at idle, all I have to do is look up under the van and see the non-black oil filter (usually orange), I immediately know the problem. I have seen this too many times to count. The only thing I change is the filter and oil to 20w-50 and the light goes away. This empirical evidence plus everything I have heard about the Mann, Mahle filter convinces me that these are the only two filters to use on the van. It is not so much that the Bosch or Fram, etc are such poor filters, but the filter material actually is supposed to have larger holes in it, thus allowing for more flow (a good thing) but actually reduces the system pressure by a little. The smaller holes in the Mann/Mahle filter material screens out smaller particles and raises oil pressure to within spec ranges. I have seen brand new, rebuilt engines (waterboxers) in vans that folks have taken to Jiffy Lube. Then they call me with complaints of oil lights coming on. I bring the van in, I replace the oil filter, problem goes away.

I'm not flaming or anything, just sharing my personal experiences. You can use any filter you want, it's your van. I could sell any filters I wanted, but I sell Mann/Mahle filters because I have experienced a noticable difference in quality, and it is what my customers ask for.

Thanks, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Phone: (856)-765-1583 Shop: (856)-327-0027 Fax: (856)-327-2242