Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:19:19 -0500
From:         "Carlen, Gregg" <Gregg.Carlen@DYNCORP.COM>
Subject:      Slow Start - now Won't Start (L)

Hi listees, I"ve been off the list for awhile, but I'm back now.

My 85 Westy has been suffering from the 'slow to crank when hot' problem. When the engine is warm I would be able to start the van when it was cold, then it was more difficult when it was hot. As I turn the key to the start on position, the accessories and lights activate, the fuel pump primes, but when turned to the start position, everything goes dead, sometimes a slow start, sometimes not. No power, nothing. It got worse this past year to the point it wouldn't start at all when the key was turned. I had my wife turn the key while I tapped on the solenoid with a length of a wooden dowel. That would make it start. It worked for awhile (a few weeks), then got more and more difficult to start again. Finally, I was back to not being able to start the van at all, even with the solenoid-stick-tapping. (By the way, when the hard-starting began, I thought the problem was originally a bad starter/solenoid, so I bought a remanufactured one from Ron Salmon at The Bus Depot and put it in but that didn't help).

I took the advice found in some of the Listserv archives about cleaning the contacts of the grounding cables (battery, tranny to chassis, etc..). When this didn't make a difference, I added additional grounding straps between the tranny & chassis as well as between the starter housing and chassis. I've cleaned every positive connection I can think of, too. This didn't work either. (Maybe I've missed one).

Hmmm, I thought about it a lot more, scratched my head, kicked the tires and then found the article in the list archives about introducing a relay between the solenoid and starter switch. So, I rolled up my sleeves (after reading the article about a dozen times) and put the relay in one Sunday afternoon. Over the course of about 2 or 3 weeks, it started on its own about 2 or 3 times, then I had to start using the stick on the solenoid again, now (three weeks later) it won't start at all, even with tapping the solenoid.

Alright, so I'm suspecting there's a dirty ground still someplace that I've missed? Or, maybe I didn't install the relay correctly. Perhaps the solenoid is bad from the box (or I've damaged the solenoid from too much tapping). I thought thought the battery might have a bad cell. Did a load test (it failed to hold a charge) so I put a new battery in. Same results. I'm kinda at my wits end. I determined not to give up, but I'm not sure what to do next. I was thinking of pulling the starter/relay out and taking it to the local Trak Auto where they test starters, but I think that's really a long shot. I've got an alarm system in the vehicle (Hornet, buy DSS), but that hasn't seem to be a factor that I can tell.

I'd rather not turn my van (almost like a family member) over to a shop and say "fix it" (besides the price associated with it). Does anyone have any experience with this? What should I try next? Is there a way to test the individual sections of the ignition/starting system? I"m getting desparate as the spring/summer approaches (plus this may be my only vehicle pretty soon). Any advice/help would is appreciated.

Thanks, -Gregg (GREAT, but imobile, 85 Westy!)

Gregg B. Carlen CRT Project Manager gregg.carlen@dyncorp.com 202-347-6665 202-347-7577 fax