Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:25:08 -0800
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil temp sensors
Comments: To: Blue Ridge CycleWorks <brbikes@RICA.NET>

Myron: I'm no expert, but have gone round and round on head temp sender locations for the Type IV engine. The VW sending unit location will give you a much lower than actual temp. reading. Using the "replacement ring under the sparkplug" sender that comes with the VDO gauge is prolly the most accurate, but what a pain to chisel off the sealing ring from the #3(or whatever) spark plug so the plug tip depth is consistent on all four cylinders. also, R&R ing that plug is a hassle as the sender ring moves around a lot when doing final tightening.

I finally decided to mount the sender ring underneath the number three exhaust manifold flange nut. Not the easiest location to get at, but you do it once and forget about it. Yes, the exhaust temp is prolly hotter that combustion chamber temp, but the quick response of the gauge when climbing a hill doesn't occur when you put the sender on the head temp sender from the factory location. Semi-instant information is what we're after here.

That motor lasted over 100k, but little thngs that Gene Berg espoused(he hated the type 4 engine) conceptually like lower compression ratio, one venturi per cylinder,, blah blah blah. He said oil coolers weren't needed when fuel air mixture was right on, but I had a big cooler anyway. End of memory lane.com for now

Dimwitted Moose and FlyingSquirrel -----Original Message----- From: Blue Ridge CycleWorks <brbikes@RICA.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, March 17, 2000 5:31 AM Subject: Re: oil temp sensors