Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:05:16 -0600
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      top speed for this vanagon?

I could not help but jump in on this. I have had the pleasure of high way cruising the 2.0 16V vanagon this weekend, and am very pleased with the performance.

First off is don't try this in your stock van, and anything above 115 mph in a Vanagon if its capable would not be safe, (my opinion) so please don't go any faster. I can't say what the top speed is in my van, because I backed off when the speedo needle was pointing at the "h" in the mph on the gauge. Its scary to think it wanted to keep going. I figure somewhere around 115-120 mph. The Vanagon handles very well at speeds around 100, having done this quite often in my other conversions, and never going over 80 mph consistent and an occasional short term 90 mph in my stock 90 GL.

With 205 70 14's rpm's @ 100 mph were 5400. This speed/rpm's would be the destruction of the stock power plant in a short time no question about it.

To answer all the individual mail I've received about motor mounts, exhaust, and the rest, please hang in there. I talked with Tom Carrington, and the pics with descriptions will be up on his site shortly. Its too hard to answer one at a time especially with out pictures.

Thanks Rob