Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:48:47 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mushy Brakes update
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

In all my years as the "boy" in my dad's garage we did a lot of brakes front, rear and before discs and ABS. I have never seen wheel cylinders "fail" because of the travel length. The pistons in the wheel cylinders are designed to push out further than metal on metal.

These pupies fail because of the deterioration of the rubber that makes up the seals. Could be due to poor batch of rubber compound and crap in the brake fluid or simply old age. It is rubber and it moves in oil. The oil is pretty corrosive to most of everything it drips on. It wears out.

I would say that Brents problem was due to off-brand remanufactured/or even new parts that were not up to VW specs. Look for known labels such as Girling, ATE or Bendix. Don't accept "pepboys" or "NAPA" brands or worse no-brand.

Always save the old leaky ones and in your spare time get a rebuild kit. It is real easy to clean it up and hone out the cylinders with the little drill attachment. At that point all you have left is to replace the rubber seals with new ones. A little silicone and they slip right on the pistons. Same goes for the Master Cylinder, although the rebuild kit is pretty pricy for our vans.

Just my 2cents.

Joel - with a new master cylinder

--- Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM> wrote: > In a message dated 00-03-19 01:23:23 EST, you write: > > > I also found that the wheel cylinders that I had > replaced to the tune > > of about $300 back in June of last year were > leaking. > > Is it possible the extra travel of the wheel > cylinder pistons as a result of > the excessive wear to the drums caused the wheel > cylinders to fail in June > and then again prematurely fail? > > Also I apprecaite this discussion because my brakes > are acting a bit odd in > the same way--even after bleeding and all. The front > rotors are new(ish) from > the DPO. But I'll check the drums. So thanks. The > list works. Pass it on. > > Jeff > 83.5 Westy > NYC >