Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:03:35 -0500
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Top speed of a vanagon

>mph. (I was using a short cut which is obviously based on a different >number for the rolling circumference of the tire, possibly more accurate) >Does a 2WD vanagon turn at 3,544 rpms at 60 MPH? does that sound right? > >I think I was way too tired when I ran the numbers last night. (math was >never my strong subject anyway)

For anyone who doesn't like math, I have a neat little Excel spreadsheet I jogged out quick a few years back that a lot of people have used over the years giving RPM versus gear ratios and tire diameters. Anyone interested, pmail me and I'll send a copy. Nothing exotic here folks, but it does give it all in one easy to read shot.

As to the 2WD rpms, about right, if I recall without going to look in anything that they went back to a 4.86 on the waterboxer and it seems to me the 4th is corresondingly maybe an .85? That would actually give 60mph at 3250 rpm with stock 185 (80) R 14 tires. For any wondering 4500 rpm is about 85 mph, 5000 rpm 93 mph. I recall I used to drive the '86 all the time at around 80 or so, and it was up there in high end of the black band on the tach. Going to a 27x8.5R14 tire will extend you a bit, works real nice on 2WD waterboxers with the 4.86, whereas they are a bit tall for the 4.57 in the aircooled vans. The 27 bring 4500 near 88mph.

Anyway anyone who wants the spreadsheet, pmail me, it is quite small.

John jander14@wvu.edu (who notes this all in a trivial way as I seldom drive the '87 over 65)