Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:32:11 -0800
From:         Ron Bloomquist <roadcow@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Trip

Hi Volks,

Just thought I would warn you-all that my partner and I will be head out on a trip this week. We will be leaving Mendocino, California the morning of April 22nd and arriving at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, Friday afternoon, the 24th - (1,500 miles one way. We decided to take advantage of the cheap gas!)

Actually, my partner has a conference to attend. I'm just the driver!

So, this will be a high speed, low level run down to Bakersfield, over to Barstow and then onto Interstate 40 to head east for hours until we reach the turn-off at Albuquerque, then north to Santa Fe and on up to Abiguiu. I am expecting "trouble free motoring" with my recent Subaru conversion. I have put 9,000 miles on the conversion since I installed it last summer but this is the first real, long distance "test'!

Last weekend I put new tires on all around and for the first time in all the years I have driven VW busses (21 years) I put on truck tires! And only because of YOU Volks on the vanagon list! Yes! Hard head that I am, I am taking your suggestion. I installed a set of Bridgestone LT 185-R 14 "D" rated tires. I know nobody was talking about Bridgestone tires during all these past tire discussions but that was all I could get in the way of Light Truck tires out here in my neck of the woods.

In the process of putting on the tires I pulled the rear brake drums and discovered I was almost metal to metal!! So, I installed new shoes. Anyway, the weird thing is... The shoes I took off had almost full thickness of lining material at the bottom of each shoe but the top of each shoe was worn down almost to the metal!! All four - two shoes each side - worn the same! The top almost gone, the bottom full thickness!

This is a 1984 Vanagon camper we are talking about here. This is the first bus I have owned that had "self adjusters" on the rear. I see that the "star" adjuster and "self adjuster assembly" is located at the top of the shoes just below the slave cylinder. The bottom of the shoes are "fixed" ag ainst non- adjustable points. What I'm trying to say is... I don't see how the shoes can wear out any other way than in the tapered manner they did when only one end of the shoes gets expanded. Am I missing something here or is this normal wear for early Vanagons? My 1971 ROADCOW has the star nut expander at the bottom of the shoes and the slave cylinder expanding the top of the shoes - that way I can expand the bottom of the shoes, over time, so they wear down evenly.

Anybody know if something is wrong set up wrong with the rear brakes on my '84 or is that normal?

Anyway, I will be "free and clear" next weekend after delivering my partner to the conference. I will have all of Saturday, the 25th and Sunday, the 26th to go exploring around the Ghost Ranch area. Maybe rattle up to the Buddhist temple if the road is open. Any Volks in the area that might want to give me the eyeball, kick my tires or try driving a Vanaru - Send me an e-mail before the 22nd.

When the conference is over we will be in the Taos, Hondo area for a few days visiting some friends. Then, back to Mendocino by the 2nd of April.

Ron Bloomquist, Lolli Jacobsen and "Red Rug" - the dog formerly known as Sarah. ROADCOW Vanaru