Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:00:15 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: COOLANT LEAK MYSTERY: NEED HELP NOW PLEASE
Comments: To: Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>

You have another head gasket (internal) blown. Have your mechanic use his "sniffer" on the coolant. It will detect hydrocarbons, indicating the failure. I don't know about the heads, but somebody is doing something wrong here. A bad o-ring at the bottom won't lead to coolant pressurization, only leakage of coolant into the case. You might check that they are using a bar type torque wrench to torque the heads to 37 ft-lbs, and that they are using new gaskets each time they replace the heads. Bring your copy of the Bentley in with you!

Good luck!

Tony Peet wrote: > > Hi Folks. I need your help TODAY with a cooling system problem that is > somewhat baffling and very frustrating. I appreciate whatever time you could > give this right NOW. Thanks! > > When we took the cap off > the main coolant tank, there was a lot of pressure released in a woosh and a > heavy smell of engine oil...... > > WHAT I NEED FROM THE LIST ARE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE > -- EXCLUDING THE HEADS SPECIFICALLY.(Unless you know of a recurring problem > with AMC heads specifically.) > > DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND/OR KNOW OF SOME OBSCURE > BUT COMMON VANAGON QUIRK THAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS? ANY UNUSUAL/USUAL (!) > FIXES ON VANS WITH THESE SYMPTOMS? > > FOR EXAMPLE, my mechanic's current thinking is that the O ring at the BOTTOM > of the cylinder might be the culprit. > > I very much appreciate your time in considering this and in replying as soon > as possible( the van's in the shop!). > > Tony Peet > '91 Syncro Westy > Pacific Grove, CA > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208 Fax: 206-269-6360

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com