Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:27:25 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: 5speed trans for 91 Vanagon
Comments: To: Patrick Bryson <patrickb@cobblestone.net>

Patrick

The Vanagon was offered with a 5-speed 094 (a variant of the 4-speed 091/1), and most of the Australian-market vehicles were so equipped, I believe, as was mine. For some reason, I'm told by Paul Guard of Paul Guard Transmissions in Hawaii, the 094 was recalled and replaced by 091/1s in the States. Why, who knows?

The 094's ratios are such that first is a crawler gear and not really of use in day-to-day driving. Unless you have a vertical driveway. I don't know what the gear ratios were, as the wretched Bentley manual wisely leaves out all specifications; what a dogbreath book. Anyway, they will work with the Subaru engine (I assume you're talking about a Legacy EJ22), but will mean poor economy and lowish top speed due to the low overall gearing. Ideally you would gear it up with taller aftermarket gears and mainshaft. There are aftermarket gears available; Paul can supply ultrastrong Elephant gears in a choice of ratios, enabling conversion from effectively a 4-speed-plus-low to a proper 5-speed, but they're not cheap. I used them in an 091 to run a 3.5liter Toyota V8 in my Bay Window, after it trashed the original 1800 trans. According to Paul the differential ratios were a choice of 4.57, 4.83 or 4.86; avoid any trans carrying the weak 4.83 diff. For a repower the 4.57 is the obvious choice, given that it is taller.

Paul can be e-mailed at <gears@gte.net>. He's now dealing in Porsche trans repair/modification, having switched from VW, but knows VW transmissions inside-out and can still get you the parts. If you have questions, ask him.

The 094 also has an odd shift-pattern; first is behind reverse, in the same plane. Very awkward. I believe the Porsche 915 I'm replacing my 094 with has the same pattern...

As to finding a trans, you may have to import one from eg Australia (or buy mine! Nah, mine has shot gears and I want to hang onto it). Or try to find out from VW of America where all those recalled boxes went! There may be a warehouse full of 094s somewhere, available for cost of shipping.

For reliability the best option would be to fit a Porsche 915 trans, as I'm doing; they're not that expensive, and the VW CVs bolt right up (axle lengths will probably be wrong, though)...I'm trying to get info on this swap from a couple of outfits in Germany that Projektzwo recommended to me.

Please let me know if you come across any SVX wrecks with engine electronics intact, as I need these to get mine running. I need: management computer & harness, ignitor, fuelpump relay, ignition relay, main wiring harness, trans computer (if automatic; manual SVXs were RARE).

Andrew