Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:37:37 -0600
From:         Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Clutch leakage

Getting ready to replace the clutch master cylinder AGAIN... Of all the parts I've replaced numerous times, the clutch seals are the things that seem to go out the most. I've been through this job more than 4 times now, but this is the first time

as an "official-born-again-vanagonian" backed by my Bentley and with the knowledge of the list behind me...(trumpets play here...)

So what do you all think about these difficult clutch seals? Is there something better? First of all, brake fluid SUCKS and I hate getting it on me or anything else. Second, I've heard change both when one cylinder goes out; do/don't get the rebuild kit; I've ordered replacements (slave and master) cylinders from the list vendors because it seems as though it's just about as cheap to get the whole thing than just the kit. I've done the kit before and it was a lot of trouble and it always seemed that some of the seals didn't match up just right....

This time, I'm going to spend some time on it and try to replace everything in the brake fluid hydralics system that I feel is nearing it's end... What about that long poly tubing that connects the slave and master? I've never replaced it, and have never heard of it going bad, but....? Any advice on that? I am also planning on replacing ALL the fluid and doing a brake job also... What other parts should I go ahead and do?? How about the brake master cylinder are there rebuilds for that? As always, Thanks in advance listees! Have a good one!