Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:21:59 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5speed trans for 91 Vanagon
Comments: To: andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

<<<the 094 was recalled and replaced by 091/1s in the States. Why, who knows?>>>

After talking with Chris Weddle, VW tested 50 Vanagons with the five speed .483 trannys and they were not accepted well. After driving my modified 2.1L Wasserboxer with a .483, I can understand why. First was really short, the rest of the gears were OK, I had a .70 fifth gear. It was a little tall and was good if I cruised at 75 all the time.

The .411 gear is the largest gear that will fit into the front nose cone.

Due to UPS damaging my .483 I ended up with a .457 South African 094 five speed. While first gear is a tad low (new 15" rims and new tires will fix) it is a much better match to the added power of my engine than the stock four speed.

The transmission simply bolts in after the front mount is shortened slightly. The shifting is no problem. I like the first in line with reverse. It makes getting unstuck easy- shift back and forth to rock the car out. Shifting from first second is easy.

The transmission are available NEW from various venders and from Weddle Engineering- they actually take them apart to make sure all in order.

Ranges with my 2.1L Wasserboxer engine: 1st 0 - 20 2nd 0 - 35 3rd 0 - 45~50 4th 25 - 70~75 5th 35 - 85+ (fast as I have gone so far ...)

I think that the SA five speed would work with a converted engine and be better suited. They come with a four spider diff and the HD parts built in, the ratios are matched (a slight increase in tire size from the 205x70x14 will improve the bottom end)

Robert