Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:38:56 -0500
From:         "Cook, Thomas" <tcook@ROVERS.COM>
Subject:      Diesel Warm No Start?

Hi-

I recently installed a 1.9 NA diesel engine in my '82 westy and while I am quite happy with the new engine generally I am at the end of my rope regarding a warm no start problem.

Every time I try to start the van right after shutting it down, like after getting gas, or stalling, it will not start. It turns over fine but won't fire. Each time that I have had it towed (four times to the shop and one or two home) after recharging the battery (I run it down trying to start the van and have already replaced it once with a new 1000 CCA battery) it starts right up. Once it even started right up by jumping when the AAA truck arrived. Other times I have tried to jump it before calling the AAA and could not get it started. I am VERY near to the end of the road with this vehicle as it has left me stranded every time I have shut it down over the last month. I have resorted to simply not shutting it down unless I am at home or work... I just lock it up and leave it running while I take care of short errands.

Cold starts were ok until last week when it would not start after sitting over an hour (maybe this was not a cold start after all). It was still starting fine each morning at home and each afternoon at work until the accelerator cable apparently became frayed and then frozen. I was trying to start it to drive to the shop to trouble shoot the warm no start when the gas pedal was stuck mid-way down.

The accelerator replacement is straight forward but the no start problem has stumped me and my mechanics; including the 80 year old original owner of the shop who has worked on VW's since the beginning.

Any ideas? The remaining item the shop tentatively suspects is the fuel pump but apparently that is not an inexpensive to replace and unless they can convince me it will solve the problem I am a little hesitant to drop another $500+ on a possible fix.

Thanks- TJC

PS- is there some reason the list archives are no longer available from the Archives page? They are still accessible from the search page and you can get to them via a backdoor on the search results page but the archive page has stopped with the end of last year?