Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:21:26 -0800
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@SDSC.EDU>
Subject:      86' Westy 4-Sale

To one-n'-all:

I'm unhappy to say that I'm having to part with my 86' Westy. I'm at the start of the restoration of my 73' Squareback, the spouse just purchased her own new minivan, so i don't have the time and effort or need to maintain the Westy, and I definitely don't have the space. I'd like this vehicle to go to someone who knows VW's and will care for it like a VW.

It's a custom version. That is we ordered it (for pick-up in Germany) without the refrigerator and mid-section cabinets. So the mid-section is clear, except for the one rear facing seat (behind the drivers seat). It has the rear cabinets.

Here's the stats on the Westy (to the best of my recall and notes):

168K miles (mostly highway, trip up to Alaska, cross-country many a time, etc., last 2-3 years highway and city) White (with some pin surface rust spots, no through-body rust) exterior Beige interior Cloth upholstery (rear seat (lower section) could use reupholstering, it was on our list of things to do, front seats were reupholstered a few years ago) Pop-UP is intact (the black seal at the base of the hard-top has tears at two-three points, but is still attached) A/C (compressor works last I turned it on, but system needs a thorough leak check and the refrigerant needs to be recharged/replaced) New rear brake drums, shoes and cylinders (9/99) New emergency brake cables from cab pull to rear brakes (8/99) Cooland system was recently flushed and recharged (9/99) Battery, primary (purchased in 4/98', 5 yr), secondary (purchased 99', 7 yr) For CA, passed dynamic smog testing in 98'. But the reality is the exhaust system will need replacement. I'll pick-up the smog inspection fee, if Westy does not pass (for a potential CA buyer). Car cannot be sold in CA if does not pass smaog. Seller will not pay for repair or replacement parts to meet smog (in any state) ... sale will only proceed if pass CA smog. Engine, 2L, water-cooled, compression (9/99): 170, 170, 135, 150, runs fine. No water/coolant in oil, but there is coolant leakage out of the jacket to the exterior, underside of the engine, drivers-side. All belts replaced, CV joints repacked and new boots, and replaced rubber bushings on stabilizer link all in 5/98. Replaced coil 7/96. Fuel economy. I'm currently getting between 17-18 mpg hwy/city-combo. Fuel tank was replaced based on VW recall many a year ago. All gromets and tubing were replaced on the tank 1/98. Transmision works fine. Was replaced in early/mid 90's. Tires. Rears were replaced in 96' (have good thread). Fronts are in need of replacement (was on my things to do list)

This is a solid Westy. If I were to keep it for my camping trips, these were the things I was planning to do to combat it's age: replace engine, repaint, replace exhaust system, reupholster rear seats, replace front tires.

Currently, the Westy runs just fine. Although I must say I really baby my VW's (no over 65 mph driving, no quick accelleration, fuel fill-up checks of oil and fluids, monthly maintenance, etc.).There are probably a few good miles on this engine if it is driven well and maintained. BUT, keep in mind that when the engine finally fails, IT WILL need to be replaced.

I'm asking $3800 or anything more than a car dealership will give me for the Westy as a trade-in (and they were very liberal). For the VW diehards, the purchase funds will likely go toward the restoration of my Squareback.

The vehicle is located in San Diego, CA. I can be reached at (858) 534-8370 (work), (858) 748-1287 (home) or via email, csmith@sdsc.edu

Chris