Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:09:06 -0500
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 5speed trans for 91 Vanagon
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

>The 094's ratios are such that first is a crawler gear and not really of >use in day-to-day driving. Unless you have a vertical driveway. I don't >know what the gear ratios were, as the wretched Bentley manual wisely >leaves out all specifications; what a dogbreath book. Anyway, they will

The 094 was usually 4.11, 2.33, 1.47, 1.01, .077 which in themselves are a great slew of ratios, the problem is that the final for US market diesels was typically 5.43. That 5.43 with the 4.11 first makes for a viscious crawler, capable of slogging through anything. Highly sought for offroading, useless for anything else. I believe offhand but am not sure that the syncro (same basic tranny) uses a 4.86 like a regular van but the 4.11 is a bit lower than the typical 3.8 of a van. Regarless Weddle engineering has a selection of gears for the 5 spd and the 4.86 final for ($650 ouch) but that would make a nice box for a van even using the stock 1-5. The pattern is obnoxious, and the design of the R and 1 is a bit odd and prone to failure with abuse if you look at Bentley's blowups. Personally though, that .77 5th with a 4.86 is a dream combo for cruising as I'm concerned, gives you 96mph at 4500 rpm with 27x8.5's I've considered the .77 in a 4 spd using the 4.83 002 ring and pinion for a bus in fact so I can keep 1 and 2 a little low for offroading with a Lock-Right. Anyway with the stock gears and the 4.86 rear the speeds at 4500 would be, 18, 32, 51, 74, and 96 mph. A useable alternative to the Porsche box which isn't really any cheaper to build/rebuild, but may be more reliable. First would still be a bit low but as a Subaru can easily spin the 4500 I wouldn't get too concerned. Oh all those speeds with 27" tires.

John (who will one day graft a syncro drivetrain under a bay) jander14@wvu.edu