Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:46:47 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Was: Optima Batteries, now hydrogen
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>

Good point, upon closer examination it looks like the venting on my driver's side box was added on, it is different from the passenger side. Must have been the PO. All it is is a 1" hole drilled through the top of the front of the box wall and covered by a sheet metal box with bottom open to keep spray out. Probably not a bad idea to do this if you are using a second battery.

Remember, hydrogen rises, so if the lid isn't sealed (don't seal it if the box isn't vented) it will get into the cabin. The likelihood of it causing any problems is remote, however.

As a side note, the fact that hydrogen rises in air saved those who survived the Hindenburg blimp fire in the '30's. The flame burned up, not out, from the blimp and allowed some to escape. Proponents of hydrogen as an automotive fuel use this fact as a safety feature for hydrogen fuel compared to gasoline, which flows out and surrounds the vehicle with flame if the tank ruptures in an accident.

There is also enough hydrogen on earth (in water) to provide all our energy needs FOREVER, because it is recycled. Water is broken into hydrogen and oxygen (solar energy can be used to do this), and when the hydrogen is burned as fuel the water is re-formed. No greenhouse gasses like carbon dioxide or nitrogen oxides are formed either. It is the perfect fuel, but there is little economic incentive to use it since so much money is to be made from oil, and the conversion costs for vehicles and the distribution network are large. Only when the economic costs incurred from the possibility we are changing our climates is factored in (or we run out of oil) will there be an economic incentive.

And yes, our Vanagons could be easily converted to hydrogen and have zero emissions, even lower than an electric car (energy used to charge the batteries is produced from fossil fuels) or the new Honda Insight gas/electric hybrid, which is where government is pushing the auto industry.

You would throw away the entire FI system, including the electronics, gas tank and the CAT and install a simple gas valve "carburetor" along with a hydrogen tank (which could balance out the now unbalanced Westy load). Imagine that degree of simplicity (no cold start problems, cold running problems, vapor lock in hot weather, etc.), and think about it--no carbon at all in this fuel to contaminate the oil, which will lead to longer engine life too!

Off soapbox now, this is a topic for Friday!

Davidson wrote: > > Stuart, > My 90 Westy has an auxiliary battery box under the driver's seat... The > cover does not seal the battery and there is no vent to the outside of the > van. > Bill -- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208 Fax: 206-269-6360

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com