Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:57:14 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Ken removes sticker page

Its a shame that the sticker page has been removed. Not only have Ken and Ron have put lots of effort into the contest, but just think of the time and effort that many of the list members put into designing the stickers.

Every-once-in-a-while someone gets a transverse-follicle-of-the-buttocks due to one string or another and ends up spoiling the "ambiance" of the list. I've been on this list since Feb. 93, and sorry to say folks, this list has NEVER been a techical list (if you want technical, buy a manual), a "serious" list, and depending on your particular point of view, it might even have a high noise to signal ratio. Quite frankly, not every post on this list is something I read or care to read, in fact, I probably dump 85% of the posts right off the bat.

It is pure fantasy to think that this list is going to meet 100% of the "requirements" of any specific individual. We are too diverse of a group that any individual is going to be satisfied with everything.

What this list is, to quote Ron, is a "community" pure and simple. That's what has made this list work in the 7 years I've been on here. We have a tradition of "list stickers" here, Richard Palmer produced t-shirts, coffee mugs and two versions of list stickers back when this list resided at the old "lenti" address.

No one is holding a gun to your head to stay on the list, there are no dues, or costs (other than the odd request to pay for Gerry's upkeep), to the list. If you don't like what you see here, hit "DELETE", or if that is too much trouble then "UNSUBSCRIBE".

To Ken and the others, please re-consider reestablishing the contest, I miss the "fun" component of the list (many of you oldtimers remember...Friday Follies...Joel's Weakly List....California Camping Crazies and their burning magnesium, etc..etc).

In closing I'd like to quote the sage philosopher, Groucho Marx, who once observed: "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and usually it's the other guy's whose stinks!"

There you have it, my opinion.

Ric